Saturday, October 27, 2007

I met Doris Chan!

Oh, today was so much darn fun. I went to Loop, one of my favorite stores of all time, and I got to meet crochet guru Doris Chan! Look! There we are together!

She is a totally cool lady, and I bought her latest book, Everyday Crochet, and she autographed it for me. I also met and talked to three really neat ladies, Yvette, Kate, and Mary, and I saw Craig, the owner of Loop, and Elizabeth, one of his esteemed employees who also happens to dye some gorgeous yarn. Doris showed me how to do foundation single crochet, which is when you create your foundation chain and your first row of single crochet at the same time. It is efficient, easy, and it pretty much ensures that your inital chain isn't too tight. I also discovered (or rather, Doris discovered), that I wrap my yarn differently than everyone else. Who knew?

Here's Doris's magic hands showing Craig how to do something (I think it had to do with joining motifs). You can see Craig's Babette there on the table, and yes, it is made out of Kersti. These pictures don't do the colors justice, it is gorgeous.

This here would be Koigu. Lots and lots of Koigu. Be still, my beating heart.

I love Loop, and I love the fiber arts community in our area, and I love Philadelphia, unlike some people I know (Sahfi!).

***

After my fabulous afternoon at Loop, my friend Sahfi met me there and we went and had lunch, then went to a French meet-up. I spent some time in Paris about 10 years ago, and Sahfi lived in Montreal for several years, and we are trying to improve our rusty French. I think it would really help if we had our French meet-up in a bar. My French improves drastically when I'm drunk (at least I think it does). The group is organized by this nice guy named Pascal. He is Quebecois, and I'll be damned if I can understand half of what he says. But he is patient with all of us, and it's a great opportunity to get together with like-minded people and just have a lovely time downtown.

***

So what are you all doing for Halloween? I'm playing hooky from my night classes and taking the Banana trick-or-treating with a friend we met at the pool this summer. It will be fun. She is going to be, in her words, a 'pretty pink princess'. I swear, I don't know where this child came from. When I was a kid, for Halloween, I was (in no particular order) a clown, a firefighter, Wonder Woman (one of those horrid plastic costumes with a mask that didn't allow you to breathe that cost $5 at Woolworth's [remember Woolworth's?]) a ladybug, a black cat, a witch, a fairy, and a Catholic school girl (that last one was post-college when I lived downtown and was single). I haven't dressed up in quite some time. Probably because I generally feel pretty freakish most of the time these days.

***

Have a good week!

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 11:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

but did you buy any yarn, ma petit chou?

get some pix of the "pretty pink princess" for us.

sounds like you had a great day (envious). and you came home to a new washer...

anne marie

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Amy O'Neill Houck said...

Wow--what a fun day! How did you find the French Meetup? There's a French conversation group in my town, but it's so formal and stodgey, I only went once. I love the idea of a bar meeting--I totally agree about the wine. Have fun with your pleated vest!

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Liz K. said...

Je parle le plus bien francais avec le vin aussi!

Achete-tu le filet?

 
At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sally,

I found your blog! It was great fun hanging with you at Loop. Craig is such a sweetheart. He has made Loop a wonderful place. Hard to believe he is a crochet newbie. Such passion and dedication to the craft is unusual for... well, for a guy. I guess that's not a PC comment, but you know what I'm saying.

Sorry I ragged on you about your yarn overs. It's hard enough to crochet with some idiot author looking over your shoulder, huh?

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger elizabeth marley said...

I'm glad you had fun at the shop. It's was great to meet you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home