Thursday, February 28, 2008

Uh-oh.

I currently have over 170 knitting and crochet projects queued on Ravelry. That's a whole heck of a lot. Some are small, some are big, some are easy, some are complicated, but they are all things that I want to make. So what's a girl to do?

Find a new hobby, of course.

I was looking at Lolly's blog, and she has taken up weaving. My dad made me a little loom when I was small - it was big enough to make a skinny scarf. I really liked it, and I think he still has it in his basement. I was thinking of fetching it and giving it to the Banana. I began to do a little research, and there are plenty of places (well, two to be exact) to learn to weave in southeastern PA - the Philadelphia Guild of Handweavers in Manayunk, and The Mannings in East Berlin. Both are reputable and have a long history of producing magnificent artists. Then, I posted on a Ravelry group that I was interested in learning, and dontcha know that there is a woman living not far from me at all who has volunteered to let me borrow her rigid heddle loom and book to learn before I buy! How generous is that!

And then I got to thinking, well, if I'm going to weave, and I already knit and crochet, why shouldn't I just spin my own yarn?

So of course I called my father and casually mentioned that a drop spindle would be easy and cheap to make, and how fun it would be to have one. ;o) My dad's good with the woodwork.

Why oh why can't I just sit at home and craft all day? Wah. This working nonsense is for the birds. I'm sure WT would agree - he would like to sit at home and play his guitar and watch Steven Seagal movies. But we sort of like to eat and have heat and stuff like that, so off to work it is.

At least I get summers off. ;o)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 4:30 PM, Blogger One Little Birdie said...

well, at least you have the yarn stash. weaving isn't that hard and we all need more stuff to collect, don't we? heh heh
we are so much alike

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Lolly said...

the kindness of strangers! that is wonderful :) if you do want to learn more, i highly recommend the mannings - I had a wonderful experience there!

best wishes~

 

Post a Comment

<< Home