Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Amazingly enough, I have finished...

... three projects! I know, it's truly amazing. But that's how I roll - nothing for months and then BAM! FOs all over the place. So here's the first one.

As you can see this a crocheted bag of my own design, made of Sugar 'n' Creme. This is for my Knitter's Treat Exchange treatee. I bought her some nice smell-good stuff, and it all came in this horrendous, cheap-looking plastic bag, so I made this instead. I hope she likes it. It took one afternoon to complete. I am a much faster crocheter than knitter.

This is a kerchief, from a pattern in Last Minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson of PurlSoho. I used Elsebeth Lavold Silky Tweed from my stash, one skein. I love everything about this yarn except that it is kind of splitty. But it is drappy and soft and speckled and lovely, and I just can't say enough good things about it!

Don't ask my why I am frowning; I don't know.

I like this little kerchief. I needed something easy and (relatively) quick after completing the project you see below.

And finally, the FO you've all been waiting for, I present to you:

Interweave Knits Spring 2007 Green Tea Raglan by Cathy Payson


How do I feel about this sweater? Meh. It is too short, and the sleeves are too tight. I am happy with my knitting and unhappy with my finishing (which is why you see no extreme close-ups of the seams). It's definitely wearable, and the yarn was nice to work with. I used about 5 skeins of Cascade 220 Heathers, and I would use it again, but not for a pullover because it's very warm. I do intend to make a cardigan with it though.


I won't be making the belt that is in the pattern as it is too short and I really don't need to attract any attention to my waist (or lack thereof). As I said in a previous post, I had to rip out about 10 rows at the top of the front and back to ensure that the raglan decreases on the body matched the raglan decreases on the sleeves. Overall, I guess I am not too disappointed with this. I tend to be a perfectionist, and I get tremedously irritated when things don't turn out as I think they should, especially when I've followed the directions and not just winged it. However, I will continue to knit, and continue to crochet, and continue to learn and get better. I still love these crafts, and I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not going to be a Norah Gaughan or Mari Lynn Patrick or Eunny Jang right out of the starting gates.
Even though I want to be. :o)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At 8:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooohhhh Congrats!! Your sweater looks just awesome and I like the kerchief and bag as well (being a fan of bags and all, it's definitely cute!!)

 
At 2:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooooh, pretty.

and the most important phrase is "continue to learn". I have had my share of errors over the years (shudders at the thought).

and I am still learning and still knitting.

keep on truckin'!

anne marie in philly

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger Sharon said...

The bag is very cute! (um, what did you put in it?, tapping foot...)

Congrats on the sweater!!! I still need to finish mine for my princess but to my credit I did make it big for next year.

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Mo said...

Wow, three great FOs. I love the sweater. I took note of it in the mag, but I'm much more likely to make something once I seen it on a real person. Great job.

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Liz K. said...

Sal, you are too hard on yourself, as usual. This is your first knitted sweater, no? Well, it won't be perfect. At least you didn't do what I did as a new knitter, which was foist all my crappy handknits on unsuspecting family members. Not that your sweater is crappy. It's just that you always get better.

I would highly recommend taking a finishing class. I learned so much from the one I took. It made a hige difference. I think they offer one at Frou Frou that Aileen took.

 
At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you made a great job of the sweater, and I really like it!Well done!

 
At 3:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
Your knitters treat secret pal here ! Reading your blog has given me some idea what to get you - it might take a while, because the package will have to travel a long way .... Your first sweater looks great ! Be proud of it, you did a great job. And if you really don't like the lenght, there are ways to adjust it ...
Am I correct to assume that you can read French ? And what about French pattern books ? Just let me know on your blog !

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger amanda said...

I think the raglan turned out great. Looks really chic with that skirt!

Yep, I'm doing Swan Lake on the IK KAL - the one with the tulle, although I'm not sure if I'm going to add it or not. I can wait til the end and see...

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Christy said...

Oh, the silky tweed, I must get some more. The Green Tea will definitely make a great warm sweater for fall nights.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home