Friday, July 27, 2007

Progress (in a way) and paternal idiosyncracies

The Summertime Tunic has been frogged. The Zen Garden Stole has been frogged. I have cast on for a new project, which hopefully will be quick: a shirt, skirt, and cloche for my father's Blythe doll, Bridget.

Why yes, you did indeed read that correctly: my father's Blythe doll. Dad's always been a smidge quirky, but now that he's living on his own, the quirkiness (read: utter weirdness) has exploded exponentially. I generally get a heads-up when Dad says, "Well I was on the Internet the other day, and I got to thinking about [Blythe dolls/circus throwing knives/didgeridoos/fire hydrants/hurdy-gurdies], so I went on Ebay and I bought one."

And yes, he has at least one of each of the aforementioned things. Actually, he made the didgeridoo out of PVC, and he is currently making the hurdy-gurdy. I'm sure you can look them up on Wikipedia if you truly want to know what they are.

Now, my dad is truly a cool dude. This is the same man that worked in a flight simulation lab for the last 16 years of his career, and he also took a trans-Pacific sailing trip at the age of 65, and he did tai-chi before any other people I knew did it, and he built a grandfather clock by hand, and he does the New York Times crossword every day (and finishes it), and he's one of the best cooks you'll ever meet. So I'll sigh and nod and make clothes for his doll, because it makes him happy and I love him. :o)

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 5:12 AM, Blogger One Little Birdie said...

Yea, my mom was a bit bizaar herself, so I know where you are coming from on that one. She was terrific too. I too have recently given up on my granny square afgan. I just looks too weird and I keep avoiding it and I am just no longer into it. I've decided to try a couple of baby blankets for friends. I want to look masculine so that the boys can grow up with them, so I may wind up making them a throw versus a "baby" blanket. I'm in search of the perfect yarn. The ones I had chosen for the granny square afgan would suit - they are very earthy & their dad is an earthy guy. we'll see.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home