Saturday, July 21, 2007

I Heart New Mexico, or a Study in Superlatives

Wow, I really and truly do love New Mexico. The license plates call it the "Land of Enchantment", and as corny as that sounds, it's absolutely true. So now you must suffer throught my photos. If you really want to suffer, go to my Flickr site and check out the other 50 gajillion pictures that I didn't post here.

As you can see in this photo, WT is just as excited as I was to see the colorful rock formations! The scenery is absolutely magnificent pretty much all the time.

This sign tells you all about the different colored rocks and how they got there and how old they are and stuff. Carson National Forest varies greatly in its landscape; up near Taos, where the elevation is higher, there are forest meadows and whispering pines and it is lovely and peaceful.

This is a naturally occuring depression in the cliff near Abiquiu. You can hear your echo!

This here is Tent Rock National Monument. These wacky rock formations were all over the place. We hiked to the top of a large hill/small mountain, which was no easy feat considering we were already at an elevation of approximately 7500 feet above sea level. But I came, I hiked, I conquered, and damn it, I took pictures.

My cousin Amanda commented as we passed by here, "This boulder wasn't here the last time I made this hike." Yikes.

It's monsoon season in northern New Mexico right now, and every afternoon you could see a thunderstorm somewhere off in the distance. It was quite lovely and refreshing.
We got to go to Ghost Ranch, up near Abiquiu, and I tread on the very same earth that Georgia O'Keeffe tread upon, and laid eyes upon the very cliffs and sky and landscapes that inspired her magnificent paintings. Wow. A dream come true.

Mother Nature at her best, n'est-ce pas?

Why yes, I would like to live in this cabin overlooking Abiquiu Lake. Thank you very much.

Here's me! In front of the very cliffs that Georgia O'Keeffe painted! Holy crap!

Downtown Santa Fe is a great town. Here is a market on the steps of the Governor's Palace. Only Native Americans can display and sell their wares here. WT got me the most gorgeous turquoise and silver ring for our 7th wedding anniversary here. Thank you honey!!

Here's the Rio Grande on the way to Taos. There were many kayakers and rafters on the river this day.

WT got to go up in a glider, and he said it was absolutely exhilirating! I'll go next time.

We had a home-cooked authentic Mexican meal while staying with my aunt and uncle. These are chiles rellanos, but they kept falling apart, so my cousin solved the problem with toothpicks. Henceforth, they were referred to as Frankenpeppers. (And mighty tasty too, I might add.)

Look! I'm dwelling in a cliff at Bandelier National Monument!

Here's most of us at Tent Rocks: from left, Jessica (my cousin's daughter), my cousin Amanda, my Uncle Bob hiding in the back, WT, et moi. Missing: Aunt Donna, Giovanni (Amanda's son), and the Banana. They were home.

Yay! Happy family portrait in the aunt and uncle's backyard.
How could I go to Taos and not stop in here? I mean, honestly.
Behold, great beautiful hanks of luscious yarn.
Can you say 'heaven'? Alas, I did not purchase even one luscious skein, as I really couldn't justify the cost. It's pricy stuff, ya know?

Back home to reality. Here's a Baby B.A.G.S. I'm making for a friend of mine who's pregnant. It's much bigger now.
Here's Joey trying to eat the Heartbreakingly Cute Baby Kimono. So far, so good. Just need to finish this.
Why you lookin' at me like that? I wasn't doin' nothin'. Fo' real, yo.
And now for your moment of Zen: a dark phase swallowtail that emerged from its chrysalis right outside my front door. Thank you Mother Nature!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 10:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sweet jeebers, what photos!

don't believe there are enough words in the english language to describe what you saw in NM.

the kittens are getting big, yo!

anne marie

 
At 6:02 AM, Blogger Devorah said...

What a wonderful vacation! Thank you for sharing a taste of it.

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Terri Lynn said...

Great photos of the LaLana Wools, where Georgia O'Keefe painted! Wow, thanks for joinin' the Ripples, but i just have to check to see if you joined Granny Squares? You stuff would look so good in this group!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home