Wednesday, July 25, 2007

I am fed up

I started the Summertime Tunic for many reasons. One, it looks cute. Two, it doesn't require much yarn. Three, it was supposed to be good airplane knitting. And four, it was supposed to be EASY. What a load of crap.

Go-around #1: Cast on on size 6 needles as the pattern called for. I substituted yarn, but why bother to swatch? I don't swatch. I am an idiot. I was essentially knitting a fishing net; it was ferociously unattractive. To the frog pond.

Go-around #2: Cast on again on size 4s. Ah, much better. The stockinette looks good, although this yarn (Hempathy) is not so forgiving when it comes to uneven stitches. Whatever, it'll block out. Begin ribbing. Ribbing looks like shit. Rip back to before ribbing. Whole evening wasted trying to pick up 226 stitches with a miniscule crochet hook.

Go-around #3: Stitches have been picked up and placed correctly back on the size 4 circs. Knit a few more rows, switch to size 2 circs for ribbing. Ribbing is tight, but I can live with that. Attempt to join another ball of yarn and drop stitch. I didn't notice the dropped stitch until 2 rows later; how the hell do you pick up a dropped stitch in 1x1 rib?? Throw WIP to floor in disgust and pout.

I still think this is a cute pattern, and it should be easy, but damn if it isn't giving me trouble. I give up. Any suggestions as to what I should make with 7 balls of Elsebeth Lavold Hempathy?

***

I think I might also frog the Zen Garden Stole. It's nice, but it is also rife with mistakes, and the Kureyon could be put to better use. I'm thinking I might use it to make a Clapotis. I'm fairly certain that I could make that without too much pulling out of hair and being driven to drink. Fairly certain.

***

While I'm at it, I will probably also frog the Green Tea Raglan. It's just too small, the seams are crappy, and it's wool, and I just know that no matter how damn cold it gets this winter I am not going to wear wool directly next to my skin. I have enough yarn to make a nice cardigan with it, and I sure do hate to see good yarn go to waste. Why let it languish in the corner as an unworn FO when it could languish in the corner as a half-finished WIP? At least it will have potential as a WIP.

***

Much as I love summer, I have to say I kinda have a hankering for cooler weather so I can start rippling and granny-ing and vintage stripe-ing. I bought one skein of almost every color of Caron Simply Soft, which is enough yarn to make at least two blankies. Wheeeee! I love blankies!

Thanks for reading my rant. More positive content to be posted shortly.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 5:02 AM, Blogger One Little Birdie said...

Boy, and I thought that I had a lot of projects going at once! I feel your frustration tho. It wasn't until recently that I even had the guts to try a garment, and I think I'm going to be extra hard on myself about them. and now it occurs to me that I must start a couple of baby blankets and stop just doing stuff for myself. I can't wait to be back with the group of grown ups and talk knitting!

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger RandomRanter said...

I think there's a mean star in some folks (myself included) craft houses or something. As far as what to knit with hemp - Knitty has a new surprise pattern that uses hemp.

 
At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

rant on rant on rant on!

pull out what doesn't work. if ya hate it, ya ain't gonna wear it! and why waste precious time on what ya hate?

cure for your rant - some b.a.g.s.!

 
At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frog on bravely. *sage nod and serious, thoughtful look*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home