Thursday, December 27, 2007

Benazir Bhutto


I have to admit that I don't know much about Benazir Bhutto. The first I heard of her was when she ended her self-imposed eight-year exile and returned to Pakistan. Upon completing some superficial research, I find that she faced many difficult challenges: charges of money laundering against her and her husband, being ousted from office twice, attempts on her life, the murders of two of her brothers, the inability to fulfill campaign promises.

But something about this woman struck a chord within me. From the first time I saw her, I was taken by her fearlessness. On her first day back in Pakistan, an assassination was attempted. The bombing killed many of the people who were protecting her. And still she marched on. She was unafraid.

It's so rare to see someone in this day and age who believes in something so much that they will pay any price to see their dream realized. And that's what Benazir Bhutto did - she paid the ultimate price. Now her children have lost their mother, her husband has lost his wife, and Pakistan has lost a fearless fighter for democracy.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home