Friday, November 30, 2007

Jebus, why all the hostility?

Many of you may be aware of or subscribe to Sandi Wiseheart's Knitting Daily newsletter. I find it mildly interesting, and they generally offer free patterns at the end of each post, many of which are very nice.

Sandi started this newsletter back in April, I believe. In that time, I think three of the posts have been dedicated to crochet. Three posts out of about 85 or so, according to some comments I read.

One of the more recent posts was written by Kim Werker, editor of Interweave Crochet magazine. I subscribe to both IC and IK, and I like them both very much. Do I like every single pattern in each magazine? No. But I like a lot of them. One of my favorites from the latest issue of IC is the Melange Sweater by Katie Himmelberg. If you haven't seen it, it's a gorgeous sweater with a knit body and crocheted sleeves and collar. I love it. I was not upset to see a half-knit garment in my crochet magazine either. However, judging by comments left on Kim's post, many people are upset that the folks at Interweave Press would have the audacity to include articles on the lowly art of crochet in Knitting Daily. Here's a little taste of the feedback Kim's post received:

Enough with the crochet already!! I know the mag exists, please stop trying to push this stuff on us!!!
And yes, I know how to crochet. I learned to crochet before I learned how to knit, but this is called KNITTING Daily.
Comment by: Gretchen M November 14, 2007


I don't crochet and have no interest in learning. If I wanted to read about crochet I'd subscribe to a crochet magazine.
What's the difference between knitting and crochet? While knitting patterns can run the gamut from beautiful to fugly, all crochet patterns are fugly.
Comment by: Sherri C November 14, 2007


Here! Here! I agree!!! If you wanna talk about crochet, then make a 'crochet daily' don't torture me with this crap. I too learned to crochet first, and you know what.... I HATE it!
I've posted before about disliking the crochet mixed in with the knitting. Its happened enough now that sometimes I dread opening my knitting daily email because I figure it is either a sales pitch for a book I can't afford to buy or it is about crochet.
I am seriously considering unsubscribing to this newsletter because of it.
Comment by: Patricia G November 14, 2007


Um, not to be uppity or anything, but if I were interested in crochet rather than knitting, I would subscribe to a crochet newsletter. If this is called "Knitting Daily" why are we getting all of this stuff on crocheting? If you'd like to go this direction, please alert us or change the name to "Crochet Daily" so that we can sort out the info we are interested in. Just my two cents. I'll probably cancel out if it is going to be crochet-oriented. There are other knitting sites. Thanks.
Comment by: Janet L November 15, 2007


Thank God for this woman:

I've just caught up reading everyone else's posts and ENOUGH with the whining about crochet already. My God! What a bunch of snobby, spoiled-rotten babies! One would think you had been physically threatened into reading the post for the day. It said at the very top who that day's guest writer was. You didn't HAVE to read it. You are also being unimaginably RUDE to a guest that Sandi invited to fill in for her. How mortified Sandi must be at the treatment her fill-in has received. Shame on each of you for your childish and petty behavior!
Comment by: Shannon J November 19, 2007


Can someone explain all this goddamned hostility to me? I started out as a crocheter, and I still consider myself to be primarily a crocheter. I can knit and I like to knit, I'm just sort of slow at it and I hate fixing mistakes in knitting, particularly when working in a pattern. Do I hate knitters? No, I admire them and the beautiful work they produce. Do I hate knitting? No, I subscribe to one knitting magazine and most of my books contain knitting patterns. Do I like every crochet pattern I come across? No - if I see one more freakin' sweater with a granny square motif in it I'm going to puke. I will also puke if I see one more freakin' Fun Fur knitted scarf (yes, they are still out there!). I would like to knit socks, but I can't imagine knitting a blanket - it would take me forever! Both are valid crafts, and each has advantages over the other in one situation or another.

Can't we all just get along?

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 9:07 AM, Blogger Liz K. said...

These people must have truly small lives if they actually care enough to leave snarky comments about hating crochet. Get a life and lighten the f*ck up, people!

Fight the power, Sally!

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Julie said...

I find it interesting that people were more comfortable being especially abrasive with Kim, the guest speaker, than they were when Sandi posted articles about crochet.

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Btw, I'm encouraging all of my crochet friends to enter the Knitting Daily Yarn Giveaway contest because I would love, love, love to see a crocheter, or two, or three win the yarn spree.

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Meg said...

People get really brave behind the steering wheel and in front of a computer screen. It's probably a great way to get to know someone's true character. Who raised these people?

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger jenna said...

Jeezaloo! I agree with Meg. Anonymity can make people a bit brazen. Even as a girl who seriously (and I mean SERIOUSLY) loves to knit, I don't get how you could get THAT fired up about...um...crafts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home