Thursday, August 02, 2007

Some WIPs and FOs for you

Mostly WIPS. This here is a picture of my first attempt at blocking! It was truly necessary to do so, as this shirt is so tiny, there was no way in hell I was going to be able to seam it without doing so. This little tank is for my dad's Blythe doll, Bridget (see previous posts for explanation of 'my dad's Blythe doll'). This is sport weight yarn (Dale Stork), on size 1 needles. I've never knitted anything so tiny before! The shirt and skirt (not pictured) only took one afternoon to knit up; it will probably take me about a week to actually sew everything together. I'm also making a cloche-style hat to go with.

Now on to more normal-sized things. Here is a finished legwarmer, pattern courtesy of Last Minute Knitted Gifts. I probably posted about this before, but I'm hoping that if I post about it again, I may actually be motivated to knit the other goddamn legwarmer. They are soft as can be, although I wish I had learned to knit on DPNs for this project, as knitting these bad boys on circs is a major pain in the ass. I had to cast on 12 extra stitches, and it's still so tight I don't even know what to do with myself. Oh well.

Here's the Puzzle Scarf by Kirsten Kapur of Through the Loops (link in sidebar). I dig this scarf, but again I'm posting about it because the project has stalled and I really want to finish it! I have so many other projects that I want to cast on, but I don't want to come down with startitis. I need to post about more FOs! I really want to start the Lacy Shrug from Kelly Maher at 10 Feet High, and I also want to do the Ballet Camisole by Alexandra Virgiel (pattern on MagKnits). They would make a cute matching ensemble to start the school year with. I also need to re-knit the Green Gable, which I frogged almost entirely due to the fact that it was about 4 inches too big around. I love the yarn and the pattern, so why am I stalling? I don't know. I just need to DO IT!

This is quite the rambling post, isn't it? I feel like I'm throwing a pep rally for myself.

Finally, here is the Crochet Crop Cardigan by Monica Brown at M1 Designs. I'm really happy with the way it came out. It makes my boobs look nice and big, and it's comfy and I like the color. I used 5 skeins of Cotton Fleece. The shell pattern at the bottom and on the sleeves makes me happy.

***

Currently, my two kittens Carlos and Joey are careening around my house, into walls and each other and poor old Tino. They are insane. It's sort of like having two teenage boys in the house, except they don't talk, which is kind of nice. They really enjoying swinging from the sheer curtains in the Banana's room, and Joey has also found out that it's really fun to scrape the paint off the door jam in our breezeway. I come out every morning to find a little pile of white paint chips littering the carpet (no lead, don't worry), the water bowl is overturned and the floor is sopping wet, book are scattered about, etc. I finally got smart and got them a COVERED litter box; before that, they would manage to scoop at least one third of the litter out onto the floor. Maybe they'll calm down once they're fixed. God, I hope so.

***

So when my mother passed away last year, we donated her body to a medical school in NJ for research purposes. When they are done with the donations, they cremate them and send your loved ones back to you. We just got Ma back last week, and my father doled out a portion of Ma to both me and my brother (since my father is forever an engineer, we both got exactly half a cup o' Ma). So now Ma is in a Ziploc baggie on my dresser. I was trying to come up with an appropriate vessel to store her in, and my friend Jeb had a brilliant idea. When Ma died, Dad let me have this tarnished old copper watering can that leaks. Why not keep her in there? I like it. The watering can reminds me of Ma, and reminds me of how Ma also took such good care of her house plants. I have one houseplant that is from a clipping of hers, a Christmas cactus. It hasn't bloomed yet, but I haven't killed it yet either, so that's good. But I digress. I'm keeping Ma (in the baggie) in the watering can. It's appropriate. And it's comforting to have her around.

Banana saw the ashes and heard us talking about them, and so she asked how the gray stuff was Grandma. I explained cremation as best as I could, then we got into this conversation about God and Jesus and Mary and Joseph and heaven and what you do with people when they die and all that stuff. She listened intently and seriously, and then said:

"Mom, I have one question for you."

"What is it, honey?"

"How do you spell 'Joseph'?"

I swear, that kid always knows the best things to say in any situation. She also asked me later why people turn into gray powder when they 'get all fired up'. Yet another question for the ages. I feel sometimes like I live with the Sphinx.

***

If you haven't already, go read the latest post by Laurie at Crazy Aunt Purl (link in the side bar, I'm too lazy to do imbedded links). It's really brilliant. I truly admire people who are able to succinctly explain what I sometimes have wandering around inside my skull.

That's it for now. Thanks for stopping by. :o)

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 4:42 AM, Blogger One Little Birdie said...

I LOVE that puzzle scarf. It is beautful and that yarn is stunning. What kind is it? I am finally going to be able to join y'all next week! I haven't done much for myself lately yarn crafy wise, so I am aching to get some needles flying and re-meet everyone.

 
At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

crazy aunt purl was right on right on right on yesterday.

if only more people would come to that realization...

the cropped cardi turned out nice! so did the doll outfit.

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Laurie said...

The puzzle scarf is amazing. The colors are wonderfully bright (I could never wear them). I think your crochet cardigan is very pretty.

Oh, the kittens...yeah, give them a year or so and they will settle down a bit but they are also learning that it is fun to "play with each other" so some degree of goofy-ness will continue. Yours, however, have some interesting ways of letting you know how they are amusing themselves! Sadly, the saying "boys will be boys" seems to be a player here.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger wildtomato said...

Nice work (and works in progress)! Hm, *I* could use a Crochet Crop Cardigan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home