Saturday, June 21, 2008

I made yarn!

It's not good yarn, and it's not pretty yarn, but I made it with my own two hands (and my spinning wheel). Take a look!


Here it is on the bobbin. Pretty nifty, eh?

Here it is skeined on the niddy-noddy that my dear dad made for me.

Getting a nice bath in the sink. I like the squiggley parts.

I then plied it and voila! Yarn! I used the wool that came with my wheel, which was kind of old. It had a lot of lanolin in it, and it felt like it had been sitting around for while, as it was very sticky. No worries though, it is nice and clean now.

This spinning stuff is really fun. I didn't think I would like processing the wool, but I do. It is truly amazing to take a raw material and turn it into something that can be useful. I think it's the first time I've ever done that before. Now I know how my dad feels when he takes a rough piece of wood and cuts it and sands it and nails it and glues it and polishes it, and it turns into a bookcase or a lamp or a clock. Remarkable!


Here are my two lovelies, WT and the Banana. Aren't they cute? I love them. :o)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home