Thursday, May 22, 2008

Two human-sized FOs and no dolls

But both FOs are crocheted! Mwahahahaha I lured you unsuspecting knitters in. So how's it going? All is dandy chez moi. I actually managed to finish two projects, both of which I am quite proud and pleased with. I know I shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition, but I'm afraid you're just going to have to deal with it. Let's look at some lurvely pictures, shall we?

Here is yet another big-ass granny square. When I need to crank out a project pronto, B.A.G.S. is my go-to pattern. It never lets me down. I'm quite fond of this one. I used Caron Simply Soft - I'm pretty sure I bought 24 skeins of it at Wal-mart (gasp!) for less than $30. Gotta love it. And it is, indeed, simply soft. Kinda shiny, too. This blanket will be going to Botswana this summer to keep a child in an AIDS orphanage warm. I do hope they like it. I'm going to try to make at least one more before my next knitting group meeting, which is next Wednesday. This one only took 4 days, and the next one I make will be made of bulkier yarn with a much larger hook. Fingers crossed for me, peeps.

Wow, I love this shawl. I've actually already worn it. This is Eva's Shawl by milobo, from her blog Without Seams (link in the side panel). It's a free pattern. It's super easy, but really pretty, and the yarn is to die for. It's really soft and warm, and the color is gorgeous. I used four and a half skeins of Araucania Atacama. I really like Araucania, I must admit. I have two skeins of yellow worsted weight in my stash, and I think that will become a scarf sometime soon.

This shawl has already come in handy, as spring has not yet quite arrived in the Mid-Atlantic region. Basically, it's been rainy and about 55 degrees every day for what feels like the last 72 years. However, it is supposed to be quite nice this weekend. If it isn't, I'm going to find a meteorologist and beat the tar out of them for misleading us. But not my brother - he's a meteorologist, but I beat the tar out of him enough when we were children. Although he got in a few good shots too. I used to have a scar on my shin where he kicked me whilst wearing bowling shoes. Ow. He also threw a dictionary and a remote control at my head, but I deserved it because I was really a mean big sister. We get along really well now. Even though he doesn't tell me when he's dating someone.

Aren't you glad you asked?

Can I tell you how much I love barbecues and picnics? I'll be going on one picnic and to three barbecues this weekend. Yippee! Today at school, there was an assembly about Memorial Day, and it was really quite touching. A bunch of the kiddies got up and spoke about their grandpas and great uncles and cousins who were veterans or who had died in battle. Then one boy at the end played Taps on his trumpet, and that damn near destroyed me. Wow. I heard Taps at the end of the day when I visited the American Cemetary at Omaha Beach in Normandy, and man, that was powerful. It really made me appreciate the people and things in my life. I have a computer, and I have a blog where I can type whatever I like, and I don't have to fear for my life or my family's life. I have a family, and I love them, and they love me. I have great friends. I have food on my plate, a roof over my head, and lots of toys.

Take a moment to be thankful for the things you have. And thank a veteran if you see one. They deserve it.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice B.A.G.S., dude!

HOW did you ever get a pix in between the raindrops today?

anne marie

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Liz K. said...

Check us out with the crochet magic!!! I need to check the pattern for that shawl -- pretty!

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger raining sheep said...

Oh My!!!! I love the granny square blanket. I want to learn how to crochet just so I can do granny squares. I have this amazing purse pattern from Interweave Crochet and it is my dream to make it. It comprises large granny squares.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home