Thursday, July 27, 2006

Fug

Well, hello. I am pretty much finished the @#$%^&*! knitted bag, and woo hoo, it is fug-ly. Truly. Now, I know that I should not expect perfection on my very first knitted project, but I do anyway. Lessons learned:

1. I need to count rows. I cannot rely on a tape measure for accurate measuring, because apparently I am incapable of using it correctly.
2. I need to work on finishing. It's important to remember that when sewing a stockinette piece to a garter stitch piece, the stockinette piece needs to be unrolled. It simply does not do to sew the garter stitch piece to the stockinette piece anywhere from one to two inches from the edge. This method does not result in a bag that is aesthetically pleasing to the eye.
3. Bags should not be knit from mill-end acrylic yarn, unless you intend to transport a snake in it - the cheap, stretchy acrylic will prevent the snake from ever escaping.
4. If at first you don't succeed, go back to crocheting and make something quick so you feel like you are actually capable of creating something useful and pretty. I banged out 3 crocheted bibs after the bag fiasco. They are cute and practical. Unlike a fugly knit bag.

I am not deterred, my friends. I will indeed pick up my needles again, and I will boldly go where people who are far more talented than myself have gone before. I just need to crochet a tank top real quick, and then I'll be ready.

I'm not sure if I'm going to post pictures of the fugly bag. It may cause your computer to crash. I'll let you know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home